DUBAI SUMMER SURPRISES (DSS) WEEKEND ACTIVITIES
WEEKEND: 20 – 22 AUGUST 2020
Dubai, United Arab Emirates, 19 August 2020: Dubai Summer Surprises (DSS) is offering another weekend full of great activities, concerts, promotions, and much more. Dubai Festivals and Retail Establishment (DFRE) has highlighted a range of citywide events and offers to make this weekend a fun time for everyone:
LEISURE AND ENTERTAINMENT
- Saif Nabeel and Mohammad Assaf will take to the stage at Dubai Opera for an evening of superb music on Thursday 20 August. The Arab singing sensations will wow their audience with flawless renditions of some of their biggest hits, fans’ favourites and newer tracks from their catalogue of successful albums. Performing separately on the night, Nabeel and Assaf are two of the biggest names in the Arabic music scene, with each singer boasting scores of fans across the region and beyond. Ticket prices start at AED250. Doors open at 8pm, with the show beginning at 9pm.
- Enjoy the best of Bollywood and a great 30 per cent saving on tickets with DSS this Friday. Sonu Nigam will be the star of the show when he performs in the first ever socially distanced Bollywood musical to be held anywhere in the world, on Friday 21 August at the Dubai World Trade Centre. Titled The Light with Sonu Nigam, the performance will showcase the sights, sounds and dancing Bollywood is famous for. The strict health and safety rules required to stage the show will not spoil the spectacle, with its creators and performers working tirelessly to ensure The Light with Sonu Nigam is an unforgettable experience. During the show, Nigam will be accompanied on stage by some of the UAE’s most talented musicians and performers. Tickets are priced from AED168 and residents and visitors can enjoy a 30 per cent saving by using the code Promo Code SONU30 when booking their tickets. Doors open at 8am.
- Football fans can put their soccer skills to the test at Mall of the Emirates this weekend with the OPPO Gaming Challenge. Presented by DSS as part of a calendar of exciting back to school events, the OPPO Gaming Challenge will see online and real-life players face off against each other at a specially created gaming arena in the mall. Launching on Thursday 20 August and running daily until Saturday 29 August, gamers who register via the MAF Share app or spend AED300 in the mall will compete against each other on four PS4 consoles loaded with the FIFA 20 video game. The winners of each virtual match will be invited into a specially built football ‘cage pitch’ to take part in a physical one-on-one game of soccer, with the first person to score three goals named the winner. Regional gamers like Ahmed Nasheet, Amr Nasouhy and Osama Marwah will also be able to play against participants. The final winner will then be entered into a draw to take on world famous gamer on 29 August. Players in the OPPO Gaming Challenge can also win one of four OPPO mobile phones plus 10,000 MAF Share points.
- Food lovers will be spoilt for choice when it comes to selecting a venue to enjoy a lunch this weekend. Foodies can discover great dishes at great prices with this year’s Jumeirah Restaurant Week promotion. Running until Saturday 22 August, some of the city’s best restaurants are offering set menu deals for lunch starting from AED 120 that highlight delicious culinary creations from around the world. Available at select restaurants at Jumeirah hotels, participating eateries include British gastropub Dhow & Anchor at the Jumeirah Beach Hotel, Asian eatery Lah Lah at Zabeel House, The Greens and Tuscan seafood restaurant Rockfish at Jumeirah Al Naseem.
- Residents and visitors can give their fitness a kick-start and learn the importance of leading a healthy lifestyle with DSS this weekend. The final Flashfit events of the season will be held on Thursday and Friday at Ibn Battuta Mall. The mall will host a series of sporty challenges in partnership, with Fitness First. Shoppers who spend AED50 can play on a giant Snakes and Ladders board game or the Hang Challenge. Expert staff from Fitness First will also be on hand to carry out a contactless 3D Body Scan that shows each person’s body composition as well as key statistics to help them better understand their body type and customise a unique fitness plan.
- Youngsters can learn great new skills, make new friends and have lots of fun at the Mirdif Club. Taking place until 16 September at City Centre Mirdif mall, the community club is an educational, fun, interactive and innovative experience designed to keep kids engaged and happy. Held from 10am to 10pm on weekdays, the club hosts a variety of activities ranging from gymnastics sessions to arts and crafts workshops. Youngsters can also sign up for etiquette classes to learn the basics of table manners and even how to build robots and use solar power with the Little Engineer sessions. Open to kids of all ages, all classes must be booked in advance online or over the phone.
SHOPPING AND PROMOTIONS
- For this weekend only, head over to Rivoli Group stores in Dubai to snap up amazing deals and wins before they run out. Those who Beat the Clock and shop between 11am to 2pm and 5pm to 8pm will be rewarded with exclusive timebound offers on on watches and eyewear from Rivoli, Hour Choice and Rivoli EyeZone stores at Mall of the Emirates, The Dubai Mall, City Centre Mirdif and City Centre Deira. Each time slot on each day during the sales features limited discounts on select and specific brands. There will be a grand raffle draw with a total of AED60,000 in prizes up for grabs. Three lucky shoppers stand to win big, with the first winner receiving gift vouchers worth AED30,000 while the runners-up take home gift vouchers worth AED20,000 and AED10,000 respectively. Winners will be announced on 24 August. Time is ticking – rise, shine, shop and beat the clock.
- Shoppers have only a few days left to win One Million SHARE points in the SHARE Millionaire promotion at City Centre Deira, Mall of the Emirates and City Centre Mirdif. Until 22 August, residents and visitors who download the Majid Al Futtaim SHARE app to their phones and scan receipts for AED300 spent in any of the three malls will enter into a raffle to win an incredible One Million SHARE points. The final draw will take place on 24 August.
- The Modesh Scholarship Promotion is giving away AED25,000 each to a total of 18 students of all ages, from school pupils to adults looking to learn a new skill or qualification. Running this weekend and until 29 August, the citywide promotion is open to shoppers who spend AED250 in participating malls across Dubai. The prize can be used to pay education fees for students enrolled in classes for the upcoming term and beyond. Participating malls will announce the names of the winners on their social media channels 24 hours after hosting the Modesh Scholarship Promotion. Malls include: Mercato Mall, Town Centre Mall, The Outlet Village, City Walk, Al Seef, The Dubai Mall, Dubai Marina Mall, Dubai Festival Plaza, Mall of the Emirates, City Centre Mirdif, City Centre Deira, My City Centre Al Barsha, City Centre Me’aisem, City Centre Shindagha, Nakheel Mall and Ibn Battuta Mall.
- Shoppers can give their wardrobe a Modesh-inspired makeover this weekend. Residents and visitors can create their own unique Modesh outfits when they visit Gap stores in The Dubai Mall, Mall of the Emirates and City Centre Mirdif. Until 12 September, Modesh fans can customise T-shirts, hoodies, caps and all denim products with their choice of Modesh designs when purchasing full price items in store. As the exclusive retail customisation partner for Modesh during DSS, Gap has a selection of great looks and design options available for fans, including embroidered Modesh patches, which are available on weekdays, and beautiful fabric painting and patchwork designs that will be created by artists each weekend of the promotion.
- On 22 August, another lucky winner will win an INFINITI Q50 car in Dubai Shopping Malls Group’s DSS Digital Raffle Draw. The fifth of six weekly draws, the luxury car is part of DSMG’s DSS giveaway promotion, which includes prizes totalling AED1 million. To enter the raffle, shoppers need to spend AED200 in participating DSMG malls. The final draw to win an INFINITI Q50 will take place on 29 August.
- Students and parents shopping at Jumbo stores across Dubai can start the new school year right equipped with the latest iPad. The back to school promotion is open to customers who spend AED500 in participating Jumbo stores between 23 and 26 August. A total of 10 winners will be announced each day during the four-day promotion, with 40 lucky customers walking away with the latest model tablet from Apple.
- VOX Cinemas has the perfect weekend planned for movie lovers. The chain’s cinemas in Mall of the Emirates, City Centre Deira and City Centre Mirdif will welcome film fans who book their own private screening for friends and family. The Private Cinema screening offer is available throughout DSS with each auditorium sitting up to 10 guests to enjoy the latest blockbusters. The Standard Cinema Experience costs AED450, or AED800 for Gold.
- Residents and visitors can enjoy a bird’s eye view of Dubai with an unforgettable helicopter tour over the city with Flyhigh Dubai Helicopter Tours by Alpha Destination Management. Taking off from the Atlantis The Palm resort’s helipad, passengers can choose to fly a variety of routes that take in some of the city’s most famous landmarks, with rides lasting up to a maximum of one hour available on a shared or exclusive basis. Prices start at AED649 per person for a 12-minute sharing ride.
- Guests who book any standard room at the Al Seef Heritage Hotel Dubai can take advantage of a special rate of AED170 (excluding fees) per night with complimentary breakfast. A great place to discover the city’s roots, Al Seef occupies a picturesque location on the banks of Dubai Creek that merges the charm and traditions of old neighbourhoods with modern, family friendly hotels and eateries.
The 23rd edition of Dubai Summer Surprises (9 July – 29 August 2020) is part of Dubai’s annual Retail Calendar that features major retail-based festivals, mega sales and exclusive retail experiences and attractions.
Dubai Summer Surprises 2020 is supported by key sponsor RAKBANK and MasterCard and strategic partners which include Emaar (The Dubai Mall), Majid Al Futtaim (Mall of the Emirates, City Centre Mirdif, City Centre Deira), Al Futtaim Group (Dubai Festival City Mall), Nakheel Malls (Ibn Battuta Mall, The Pointe, Nakheel Mall, Dragon Mart 2), Al Zarooni Group (Mercato Shopping Mall), Meraas (City Walk, Boxpark, The Beach, The Outlet Village, Al Seef, La Mer), Emirates Airline, Dubai Duty Free, AW Rostamani Group, Enoc, National Food Products Company and Etisalat.
To see the full calendar of events, please visit www.dubaisummersurprises.com and @DSSsocial on social media.
– Ends –
About Dubai’s Department of Tourism and Commerce Marketing (Dubai Tourism)
With the ultimate vision of positioning Dubai as the world’s leading tourism destination and commercial hub, Dubai Tourism’s mission is to increase the awareness of Dubai among global audiences and to attract tourists and inward investment into the emirate. Dubai Tourism is the principal authority for the planning, supervision, development and marketing of Dubai’s tourism sector. It markets and promotes the Emirate’s commerce sector and is responsible for the licensing and classification of all tourism services, including hotels, tour operators and travel agents. Brands and departments within the Dubai Tourism portfolio include Dubai Business Events, Dubai Calendar, and Dubai Festivals and Retail Establishment.
About Dubai Festivals and Retail Establishment
The Dubai Festivals and Retail Establishment (DFRE), an agency of Dubai’s Department of Tourism and Commerce Marketing, is responsible for developing Dubai’s retail and festival sectors and supporting the positioning of Dubai as a world-class tourism destination with year-round family entertainment, shopping and events.
For further information, please contact:
[+971] 600 55 5559
[+971] 4 201 7631