New MICHELIN Pilot Sport CUP2 CONNECT
Faster, longer-lasting performance, 100% Connect Ready(1)
- Gain of 7.29 seconds after 10 laps (2)
- Designed for high performance and sports vehicles
- 41 sizes available for more than 180 vehicle models
- Connectable with MICHELIN Track Connect in all dimensions
- World premiere : the BMW M2 CS will be the first car fitted with MICHELIN Pilot Sport CUP2 Connect tyres as original equipment
The new MICHELIN Pilot Sport CUP2 CONNECT tyre has been designed with an integrated container intended to receive a sensor, which make it the first 100% Connect Ready tyre on the market. Users then just have to insert the MICHELIN Track Connect solution sensors in order to take advantage of the multiple functionalities of the solution and optimize their performance even more during track days. Dedicated to 80% on track and 20% on the road, the MICHELIN Pilot Sport CUP2 CONNECT tyre remain versatile for an everyday use while offering high potential on track.
New architecture for more stability and more security
To combine both excellent feeling and high efficiency, the new MICHELIN Pilot Sport CUP2 CONNECT tyre combines in its construction two polyester plies, two steel plies and a polyamide ply. It also benefits from several advanced technologies :
- Wavy Summit Architecture: waving of the summit plies by addition of rubber under the structural steel cable of the tyre, giving the advantage of reducing response time and increasing the feeling of sportiness behind the wheel.
- Dynamic Response Technology: high density aramid and nylon hybrid belt which promotes driving precision and tyre behavior under load. This belt, which is located just below the tread, is both very resistant and light. Thus, at equivalent weight, the associated nylon and aramid are five times more resistant than steel.
These technical improvements allow higher cornering speeds and excellent stability at high speeds. On the track, this also results into better lap times (2) and more safety on the circuit and on the road.
(1) Connect Ready : the tyre has been designed with a specific container, the user has just to insert the sensors of the Michelin Track Connect solution to make the tyre connected.
(2) Internal study, Porsche 991 GT3 equipped with MICHELIN Pilot Sport CUP 2 Connect size 245 / 35ZR20 and 305 / 30ZR20 on the Valencia circuit (07/2018) and Renault Megane 3 RS equipped with 235 / 35ZR19 Charade and Ladoux circuit N ° 3 (10/2018) after 10 towers, in comparison with previous generation MICHELIN Pilot Sport CUP2.
New tread for better control and longer life
- Bi Compound Technology: the asymmetrical and non-directional tread pattern of the MICHELIN Pilot Sport CUP2 CONNECT tyre uses “Bi-Compound” technology with at the external side a specific elastomer whose rigidity is adapted to provide maximum grip on dry surfaces when cornering, and inside a more rigid elastomer which optimizes precision and control.
- High Molecular Chain: the MICHELIN Pilot Sport CUP2 CONNECT tyre benefits from a new rubber compound with “functional elastomers”, allowing to obtain a more homogeneous material and better rolling resistance (energy efficiency), but also a stronger grip on wet ground thanks to a higher dosage of fine silica.
- Track Longevity Technology 2.0: reinforcements on external shoulder make the tyre more resistant to wear on track and make it possible to increase performance and maintain it lap after lap.
Multiplied benefits on track, even more with MICHELIN Track Connect
Thanks to these technologies, the MICHELIN Pilot Sport CUP2 CONNECT tyre extend not only the driving experience from a subjective point of view (steering control and handling thanks to an optimized footprint) but also in an objective manner. It is indeed 7.29 seconds(2) faster after a serie of 10 laps than the previous MICHELIN Pilot Sport CUP2 tyre. Using MICHELIN Track Connect solution allows – thanks to the optimal pressure recommendations delivered through the app – to drive even faster and consistently with a gain of 7.40 seconds (3) after a serie of 15 consecutive laps.
The BMW M2 CS will be the first car fitted with MICHELIN Pilot Sport CUP2 Connect tyres (245/35 ZR19 (93Y) XL TL PILOT SPORT CUP 2 * DT1 MI for the front and 265/35 ZR19 (98Y) XL TL PILOT SPORT CUP 2 * DT1 MI for the rear), meaning that the MICHELIN Pilot Sport CUP2 is the first connect ready(1) tyre homologated as original equipment.
Also available for replacement market in 41 dimensions (95% market coverage) on sizes from 17 to 21 inches, the MICHELIN Pilot Sport CUP2 CONNECT tyre is compatible with the majority of sports cars on the market, from 200 to over 750 HP. It is aimed at beginners or experienced drivers, allowing them to increase their driving experience and improve their lap times on track.
(3) Internal study certified by a bailiff, Porsche 991 (991) GT3 RS equipped with MICHELIN Pilot Sport Cup 2 CONNECT on 265 / 35ZR20 and 325 / 30ZR21 with MICHELIN Track Connect carried out at the Andalucia Spain circuit (11/2019) after 15 laps, vs previous generation MICHELIN Pilot Sport CUP2. Actual running conditions may vary.
About Michelin :
Michelin, the leading mobility company, is dedicated to enhancing its clients’ mobility, sustainably; designing and distributing the most suitable tires, services and solutions for its clients’ needs; providing digital services, maps and guides to help enrich trips and travels and make them unique experiences; and developing high-technology materials that serve a variety of industries. Headquartered in Clermont-Ferrand, France, Michelin is present in 170 countries, has more than 127,000 employees and operates 69 tire production facilities which together produced around 200 million tires in 2019. (www.michelin.com)