Simple steps to ensure hormone balance and avoid excess weight
By Dr. Rohit Kumar, Medical Director & Head of Surgery, Medeor 24X7 Hospital
Hormones are the most powerful chemical messengers in the body and dictate weight loss for better and worse.
Hormonal disruption to the body can result in negative effects and one of the most common issues is weight gain. It is important that people implement everything they can to ensure their hormones remain balanced to avoid excess weight – a risk factor that can be damaging physically and mentally.
Calories matter, more to some than others, but hormones matter more. People who are seemingly doing everything correct when it comes to exercising and diet, but still are unable to achieve their desired weight loss results, are most likely battling with hormonal imbalance. The most common reasons for weight gain include: excess cortisol; insulin/leptin blockage; estrogen dominance; a sluggish thyroid; low testosterone; problems with the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal control system.
Below are simple steps to balance hormones:
- Limit alcohol & caffeine – Avoid alcohol as much as possible. Caffeine is also a harmful agent that should be avoided. One can switch to green tea as it contains L-theanine; an amino acid that reduces stress without sedation and has a minimal amount of caffeine.
- Keep blood sugar levels stable – Decrease you sugar intake as insulin levels must be kept low.
- Manage your stress – Stress is detrimental to a balanced hormonal system – deep breaths, walking, jogging and talking about issues are recommended.
- Consume glucagon-stimulating foods – Foods such as chicken, fish, turkey, cottage cheese, yogurt, red beef and eggs all apply.
- Greens – Have green leafy vegetables and high fiber diet.
- Get tested – Consult your doctor to identify which hormone is disrupted and follow their dietary advice.
- Stay hydrated – Two litres of water per day is critical for energy, vitality and overall health.
- Exercise – The most effective way to lower cortisol response.
- Sleep well – Hugely effective for sufficient cortisol secretion and weight loss.
- Protein – Consuming an adequate amount is imperative.
Hormones are involved in every aspect of one’s health. Everyone needs them in very specific amounts for the body to function optimally and ensuring that hormones are balanced leads to good physical, mental and spiritual health.