Majid Al Futtaim, the leading shopping mall, communities, retail and leisure pioneer across the Middle East, Africa and Asia, today launched Abu Dhabi’s most sustainable retail destination – My City Centre Masdar.
The AED 300 million community project – Majid Al Futtaim’s first shopping mall in Abu Dhabi and its 25th in the region – is a flagship mixed-used development with sustainability at its core.
- Launch includes Carrefour’s 100th store in the UAE
- My City Centre Masdar is Majid Al Futtaim’s 25th shopping mall in the region
- New destination features 18,500 sqm of gross leasable area, including a 7,000 sqm Carrefour Hypermarket and dining options for Masdar City residents, surrounding communities. Featuring sustainably sourced wood, a range of locally-grown produce and a commitment to reducing single-use plastic bag usage, by being the first hypermarket in the UAE not to offer them at the cash counters.
- As Abu Dhabi’s newest retail and dining destination, My City Centre Masdar features more than 70 stores including Redtag, Max, Lululemon, Magic Planet, MaisonsDu Monde, Life Pharmacy, Al Jaber Optical, Zaatar w Zeit, Kababji Grill, The Coffee Club, Poke Poke Restaurant, Sushi Art, Fatta Cafe and Cinnabon& Seattle’s Best Coffee.
- The mall’s 600 car parking bays are shaded by roofing housing photovoltaic cells, generating electricity equivalent to one-fifth of the mall’s annual energy usage. Six percent of parking has been set aside for electric, hybrid or carshare vehicles – and half of these spaces are equipped with charging points.
- The mall plans to recycle at least 80 per cent of its operational waste. Sustainability-focused features include energy-efficient escalators and lifts, and the exclusive use of LED lighting that were used during the basic elements of construction and inside shop interiors.
- Additionally, all the materials used during construction were manufactured within 500 km travelling distance of the project site. Sustainability features such as these were integral to My City Centre Masdar’s achievement of Abu Dhabi’s Estidama Three Pearl rating, a benchmarking measure equivalent to the LEED Gold rating for exceptional performance in energy and water conservation.
- My City Centre Masdar is set to employ 2,000 people, having already created opportunities for 1,500 people during its build-out phase. The new mall is centrally placed within the planned Masdar City transit network. It is adjacent to the site of the proposed Masdar City Metro Station and within 300 metres of the nearest proposed bus and light rail transit stops. The mall will also be connected by public bus routes, with plans in place to utilise the autonomous, electric vehicle Navya to connect the mall to other destinations within Masdar City.